UCLG – The United Cities and Local Governments is the largest association of local governments in the world and the officially recognized voice of local government by the United Nations. United Cities and Local Governments Asia Pacific (UCLG ASPAC) is one of the eight Regional Sections UCLG. In which its Secretariat is located in Jakarta and hosted by the Provincial Government of Jakarta.
As the Asia and Pacific region is the biggest of the eight sections in UCLG, it plays an important role within the whole network of UCLG. It links with more than 7.000 local governments. It represents well over 3.76 billion people–more than half of the world population- and incorporates economically fast developing countries such as China, India and Indonesia.
UCLG ASPAC is the key knowledge management hub of local government issues in the Asia-Pacific region. It promotes democratic local government, supports cooperation between cities and their associations, and facilitates programs, networks and partnerships to develop the capacity of local governments and the associations. Moreover, UCLG ASPAC represents local governments politically within the international community, and with the United Nations and its agencies. It also promotes inclusive societies which safeguard equality, social and economic justice, and sustainable community development. UCLG ASPAC is engaged in all relevant thematic fields for nurturing sustainable development comprising of poverty alleviation, climate change, decentralization, local finance and MDGs, natural disaster risk management, and so on.
UCLG ASPAC is accepting the expression of interests for an internship opportunity from the university students of all over the world including Indonesia and we would be delighted if you could disseminate this information to the qualified students at your University. The interns will be placed at the UCLG ASPAC regional office in Jakarta and to provide support to the on-going operations of UCLG ASPAC Secretariat. We strongly believe this internship program will be good opportunity for your students to raise their skills for their future development goals.
Assignments and Expected Outputs
Under the direct supervision of the Secretary General and relevant Program Manager, the interns are expected to perform the following tasks:
· Supported research on need assessment for UCLG ASPAC members;
· Compiled projects and researches on development studies from various resources, incl. UN agencies, international NGOs and UCLG ASPAC members in addition to support donor mapping activities;
· Assisted in collecting and updating database of UCLG ASPAC members;
· Supported the preparation of material for UCLG ASPAC publications;
· Provided assistances in updating website of UCLG ASPAC;
· Provided support to the UCLG ASPAC projects in seminars, workshops, conferences, and/or ASPAC related events where applicable;
· Supported the development of mobile application of UCLG ASPAC;
At the end of the internship, the following outputs will be expected:
· A final report detailing the intern’s experience and work assigned in the different ASPAC focus areas;
· A report detailing the outcomes of the various seminars, workshops or conferences attended (where applicable)
– Minimal student of 6th semester of undergraduate programme or postgraduate programme in the fields of development, urban/regional planning, business administration, public administration, international relations, environmental, computer science and/or related areas
– Minimal GPA 2.75
– Excellent English speaking and writing skills
– Actively participating in extracurricular activities
– Proactive and determined
– Computer software skills in all basic Microsoft word applications and relevant software
– Willing to relocate to Jakarta and conduct internship at his/her own expense
Duration of Internship
The duration of internships is minimum of 3months
How to Apply
Students are expected to submit the updated CV and motivation letter to the strategic services division of UCLG ASPAC at firstname.lastname@example.org with subject “Internship”
Thank you in advance for your good cooperation and we look forward to hearing from you.